Jump to content
Maestronet Forums

Guy Harrison

  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Guy Harrison

  1. Taking the outline shape from a cast of a Stradivari cello scroll, to make a new cello scroll template. Using fast setting polyester resin on thin plywood & the shape is from the central spine of the scroll.
  2. Thanks. Always trying to improve! And I thought I'd try to post a few more pictures from my bench.
  3. A quick photo of a violin in my workshop. I made this a few years ago and it's in for maintenance. The upper treble corner of the front took a hit from the bow and needs some attention.
  4. Gluing in the neck for the next violin - Guarneri model.
  5. Thanks - the varnish is always a work in progress!
  6. Thank you! I could post photos of work in progress as well when I have time.
  7. A violin I'm finishing now - it's a 1720's Stradivari model.
  8. Thank you Christian! I love the original violin but it is so extreme in many ways!
  9. Thanks. At the moment it is my "go-to" Guarneri model, before then it was the 'Lord Wilton'. Both great 1742 models. Since the original is strong but in my opinion not overly thick, I can copy the thicknesses or at least the idea of the thicknesses. I adjust my thicknesses to the wood I'm using, rather than for a particular player. Later I adjust the set-up for suit certain players though.
  10. A few weeks of time for sure. I often do antiquing work for a few hours and then spend the rest of the day on making the next violin. It helps to have breaks and then come back to it with a fresh eye.
  11. Thank you! And yes, with a violinist in Toronto.
  12. My latest version of the "Dushkin" Guarneri 1742. Still with some final varnish work to do and adjustment to the set-up.
  13. I'll try and post a picture of the finished result!
  14. Making some pigments over the holiday break.
  15. Thanks! I was trying to imitate the very fine craquelure seen on some of Stradivari's instruments. For example:
  16. Thanks Andreas. The changes are mostly to the long arch of the front. The original arching of the Stradivari violin I'm copying is quite high in the upper and lower bouts of the front. Some of this is distortion but it was probably made fairly high as well. So for the next violin I'm making now, I've made the arching a little higher in the upper and lower bouts. Still lower than the slightly distorted arching the original violin now has. My motivation is to find an arching that of course I think works well for sound plus one that I feel is close to the arching the original violin may have had when new. These changes are small and I'm only talking about ± 0.5mm but it's noticeable visual difference. I hope that explains my thoughts!
  17. Another Stradivari copy- this time a later period - 1720's Stradivari. I'm now making a second version of this model, wth a few changes to the arching.
  18. Thank you! I was finishing some antiquing last week on another violin - a close up of the scroll, almost finished.
  19. I agree Paul. Talking with Brigitte in person, during a visit to Germany a few years ago, she also mentioned the Stradivari cello varnish had more oil than the Stradivari violins she had tested. Which is logical for varnishing a larger instrument.
  20. Yes, they will both be 1720's Strad models. Quite nice to make them as a pair!
  21. My copy of a 1720’s Stradivari with a one piece back, now ready to be varnished. Plus the piece of maple for my next violin. (a sort of "before & after" photo !)
  22. Thank you Joe. I still have notes I took in Oberlin from our discussions on varnishing. Very helpful!
  • Create New...