John Harte

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About John Harte

  • Rank
    Senior Member

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Not Telling
  • Location
    West Melton, NZ

Recent Profile Visitors

4183 profile views
  1. There is some data in this book:
  2. David Burgess and Marty, I agree. This distortion is very readily seen particularly when viewing CT scans and it is clear where it comes from. However the question remains as to whether at least some flattening through the central region of belly long arches was the norm when originally made. Very late period del Gesu belly longitudinal arches are an interesting study. If you consider instruments like the Ole Bull, Sainton, Leduc, Prince of Orange and the Hennel Rose etc., the belly longitudinal arches as they appear today are somewhat rounded, similar to their longitudinal back arches.
  3. According to the 2021 Strad Directory he is still living in Nelson.
  4. Casey, well done. Understanding mold outlines can be tricky. Following on from Jim's comment about corners, it is important to have a clear idea of how you want the finished corners on your violin to look and then how their outline will sit in relation to the rib outline. Once you have established that you can work backwards and make decisions about corner block shapes. One thing that I have noticed about Strads is that corner block shapes often aren't a direct continuation or connected to the mold outline. In other words the finished line of the blocks often sit slightly proud where
  5. Thank you Roger. I look forward to hearing more when time allows.
  6. Roger, I'm curious. What is the exception?
  7. We do know some detail regarding the oil but I agree. I also suspect that things can and do happen much more quickly than 300 years. Re it being oil, Echard has said that this is what he was able to detect. (An obvious statement but one he has said needs to be acknowledged.) He seems open to the possibility that other things could be involved that, for various reasons (e.g., masking, production and ageing effects, limitations of analytical techniques etc.,), are currently unable to be detected.
  8. Mike, thank you. I would not have easily found this as a discussion on proteins did not eventuate. While Christian did ask about proteins, Jean-Philippe for some reason limited his comments to where micro-sampling had taken place. Maybe he didn't pick up on the full extent of Christian's question. Jean-Philippe has addressed the issue of protein presence in several of his publications. Very broadly speaking his investigations reveal the lack of a discrete protein layer in the Cremonese examples he has considered. This has been in contrast to what he found in examples from other schoo
  9. Mike, I asked the last question, unfortunately in an extremely clumsy disjointed way. (It was something like 4am my time and I was half asleep....) However I am sure that this is not the question you are referring to. Can you provide a time point at which the question you are interested in is on the video?
  10. I suspect that Michael was referring to him having an explanation. I don't have any answers, only questions...
  11. In spite of my name being mentioned a couple of times, up until this moment I have not had any part in this thread. I also don't recall expressing any strongly formed opinion in any Maestronet thread as to whether the interpretations of various researchers are correct or not. For the record, I suspect the jury is still out in terms of what the various old Cremonese makers used for their ground systems...
  12. Interesting comments from Peter Ratcliff here:
  13. There could well be. What Echard has noted in various papers might support this. BB's findings possibly suggest that there may be a little more involved. This remains an area where the jury is still out.